Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Albino House Finch

Albino's beautiful but a mystery. I was out on mother's day when I heard some house finches in one of the trees just off the trail I was walking on. When I spotted the Albino Finch...at first I thought my eyes were deceiving me but after taking some pictures it became instantly clear at what it was. Genetics interesting subject really all it takes is one code to change in the DNA molecule and change occurs whether positive or negative. More leaning into the negative if you really research the statistics of it all. Genetics was one of my favorite subject and to this day still captures my mind to the endless possibilities that can happen in the DNA molecule. The Albino is one of them.





12 comments:

  1. HI Crista, wow that's a sight! Well done! He is white like the snow and beautiful! Superb shots you got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Chris thanks it was definately a prized find...simply beautiful.

    @naturedigital; Robyn and Nefertiti ~ Thank you very much :))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to see this post as it has answered the question I already knew: Is that an Albino House Finch at my feeder! Much to my surprise!! It showed up yesterday with other house finches and here it is again today! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recently at my bird feeder I have seen a white-headed bird. The body looks (and is about the size) of a house finch. Is this some strange anomaly, a cross-breeding, or what?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a white baby albino finch, the eggs hattach about two weeks ago.Picture of it will soon be posted. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photo helped me to confirm the identity of an "albino" house finch. We have had a similiar bird coming to our feeder. However, it is not completely albino. The bird visiting our feeders has a very light tinge of pink where the normal rosy colored feathers would be in the house finch. I believe this is called leucism. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw an Albino House Finch, slight pink ( instead of red)head. Tried to take a picture, no luck, will try again. Never saw one before. We live at 9300 elev, in the Wet Mtns, east of Westcliffe, Colorado.( 9 miles). Beautiful birds.
    Debbie ( birdlover).

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is not an albino, it's just a white recesive canary.

    ReplyDelete