Monday, October 19, 2009

A Fresh Kill ~ Cooper's Hawk

Yesterday I couldn't stay in the house for 5 more minutes!!! I have been couped up in my house since Tuesday last week and I couldn't resist heading outside for a small walk. Was I ever rewarded!!! A Cooper's Hawk had just done a fresh kill. Please don't ask me why I was able to get this close, but I'm thrilled with the result I'm able to post for you today. The pictures unfortunately are in the wrong order...but I don't think it really matters. I left most of the gross shots out...the first shot is as gross as I wanted to get. Not appealing seeing a kill...but the beauty and power with this bird is breath taking and I wanted something this dynamic for my blog. Nature isn't nature without the realization that in order for some animals to live others must die. Sad yes I can't say I wasn't affected by this kill...I'm a very sensitive person so I felt it from beginning to end.





































11 comments:

  1. You lucky thing these are great, have noticed with Kestrels they will usually let you get close when they are eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. il est magnifique mais pauvre bete quand mm,c etait un lapin ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Crista,
    Ouah what a splendid post... You know it is really rare to witness these moments! Fantastic, look at this set of pictures you got!!! Gosh amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crista. Amazing shots including the 1st pic of 'raw nature', something we should never be ashamed about witnessing... it is natural after all. Well done. FAB

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crista, love the hawk shot. I rarely see a hawk as I'm not out in the outskirts enough. I hate seeing something eating off of a carcass but it is nature. We all gotta eat. Get better. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shots, lucky you, being able to get so close the bird and get some good pictues.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! You have some fantastic photos here..... I've been cooped up in my house for a week too--I've been cleaning and organizing...fixing things, having carpet laid, etc. I haven't been birding for over a week and I'm going nuts! Loved these photos...great series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adrian ~ I didn't know that...some information to file away for another opportunity :)

    @ Everyone else ~ Thank you I was thrilled by being able to capture the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow..these are great! I never manage to see a hawk that close and such detail! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Crista,

    They are some very powerful photos. You were very very lucky to get that close. Nature is a wonderful thing, every creature has to survive and your photos really say that.

    Well done.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, a great series of photos of some true nature. Thank you so much for sharing these. By the way, I hope you are feeling better these days. Take care!

    ReplyDelete