Sunday, May 24, 2009

Cedar Waxwing 1 of 4

Goodmorning, Goodmorning....well yesterday here in Victoria BC was fab!! We got up to a warm 25 nice. So because I burn I decided to get out early, not as early as I would have liked but early enough that the morning sun was still ok and not the Mid day light that you can't get a decent shot in if you tried. My boys and I decided to head out to Swan Lake our Nature sanctuary. Well it was great I saw my very first Cedar Waxwings!! there was about five in the old oak tree which looks out onto the pond....Fantastic moment. Again I was excited but this time I didn't have to dump alot of pictures. Mind you thought my poor camera as you can see here was pushed and I say pushed to the max.....Ah again the reminder that I don't own an SLR...but I'm still happy with the results even though you can't really see alot of detail only their beautiful silhouette of colors against the blue blue sky.

8 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic series of pictures, nice bird! BC must be beautiful this time of the year. We traveled through BC a couple of years back, loved it!!
    :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great find Crista. Don't bash yourself up, the pics are fine & I can see the yellow 'dipped' tail. Cheers Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Maheala(I hope I spelled your name right) BC is beautiful at this time of year especially the Island very diverse environments which is condusive to lovely nature shots. But I feel in my heart that where you live is very beautiful. I have never had the opportunity to travel. I will but when my boys are grown and have left home.

    Frank!! Thank you I'm glad you can see the lovely tail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Crista, I think the photos are fabulous! Cedar Waxwings are always fun to see. I love it when a flocks swoops in to eat all the berries in a tree. They have a such a cute call when they are all chittering back and forth. Great series of photos you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...I keep forgetting to tell you I like your banner photo of the cute little Chipping Sparrow getting a drink at the fountain (at least it looks like there is water there).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning Kelly :) Thanks for the lovely comments and to answer your question yes it is a waterfall. My husband made me for Mother's day a Pond Pot and up the side he built a cascading waterfall.The birds totally love it, I'm even attracting dragonflys to the yard as well. Wonders a water feature does for your yard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely captures of the waxwing Crista. I don't see them very often, and I consider myself lucky when I do - such a unique-looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Heather...I considered myself lucky too. This was the very first time I have ever seen them. I have lots of books with their pictures in them saying they are native to our area..but had never seen them. So I was very excited when I finally did. Thankfully I had my camera with me to get the shots.

    ReplyDelete