Sunday, May 31, 2009

UVIC's Treasure....Hawk's Nesting in Strobe Lights 1 of 5

Bonus post today....yesterday I noticed that our Hawk nest from last year was active again. So with the morning light I headed out and set up the tripod to see if I could get some shots that were ok. I knew in advance though that with my camera they would not be top notch but I'm happy with the result. Here we have the Hawk sitting on the eggs and as the pictures progress there is the trade off, the stretch and the take off.... The Hawk family is especially important for us here in Victoria we have a very severe Rabbit infestation and they help with controlling of these Rodents...although cute they cause alot of damage in large numbers. UVIC is known for the rabbits that live everywhere on campus. Good maybe but damaging yes.

6 comments:

  1. ...this is a fantastic series of photos! Your hawk looks a good deal like our Ospreys. I really don't know a lot about all the types of hawks. I'm starting to learn more about Red-tailed Hawks. I can't wait to watch the babies hatch and see your photos of them! I look forward to that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Kelly....I definately won't get the baby shots when they are really small...my camera was maxed out at this point. When they get bigger and are ready to learn to fly is when I will have to go back and see what I can do!! ;) Crista

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great series of shots. What gorgeous birds. Oh, and I like the new header photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Heather your enthusiasm alwways puts a warm fuzzy in my heart!!! I think you and I are the same in how we feel about all levels of Nature excited when we are out and about capturing it!! Crista

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I don't know if I've ever given a fellow nature lover warm fuzzies before - how very sweet of you. I think we do share a similar excitement for nature... sisters in nature, perhaps?

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well maybe warm fuzzies might have been a little unusual statement..but I see in your blog the feeling behind what you do....I just noticed that there are definate simulations in how we view nature ;) commpliment intended. Crista

    ReplyDelete